Image by: Elizabeth Villalta
Arts & Cultural Events throughout the City
Here are some of the best art and cultural events that happen throughout Houston:
- Free Press Summer Fest: This three-day festival features a diverse lineup of indie, rock, and electronic music, as well as food, comedy, and art.
- Day for Night: This two-day festival features a variety of music genres, including hip hop, electronic, and classical, as well as art installations and food vendors.
- Houston International Festival: This annual festival celebrates the cultures of over 50 countries with music, dance, food, and art.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo: This annual rodeo features concerts, livestock shows, and other rodeo events.
- Houston Symphony Gala: This annual gala features a performance by the Houston Symphony and a cocktail reception.
- Houston Cinema Arts Festival: This annual festival showcases independent and international films.
- SXSW Film Festival: This annual festival showcases a variety of films, including feature films, documentaries, and shorts.
- Houston Black Film Festival: This annual festival showcases films by black filmmakers.
- Houston Latino Film Festival: This annual festival showcases films by Latino filmmakers.
- Lone Star Film Festival: This annual festival showcases films made in Texas.
- Houston Art Car Parade: This annual parade features decorated cars and floats.
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft: This museum features exhibitions of contemporary craft.
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston: This museum features exhibitions of contemporary art.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston: This museum features a collection of art from around the world.
- Menil Collection: This museum features a collection of modern and contemporary art.
Theater and Dance
- Alley Theatre: This Tony Award-winning theater company produces a variety of plays, musicals, and other theatrical productions.
- Houston Grand Opera: This renowned opera company presents a season of operas.
- Houston Ballet: This professional ballet company performs a variety of classical and contemporary ballets.
- Houston Children’s Theatre: This theater company produces plays and musicals for children.
- Diverseworks: This performance and arts center presents a variety of performances, including theater, dance, and music.
- Houston Zoo: This zoo features over 6,000 animals from around the world.
- Hermann Park: This urban park features gardens, a Japanese garden, and a zoo.
- Houston Museum of Natural Science: This museum features exhibits on dinosaurs, space, and natural history.
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center: This arboretum features gardens, hiking trails, and a nature center.
- Houston Farmers Market: This farmers market features fresh produce, local food, and live music.